Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Badger?!



So a couple weeks ago we lost all remaining 6 chickens to a wild animal in one night. I had heard the rooster at 6 a.m. just long enough for me to think "O, he is up early" and went back to sleep. It was eerie going outside to no chickens. I walked up to the coop and sure enough there were feathers all around. I followed the feather trail to a hole in the dirt mound by our empty pond. At first I thought it must have been the raccoons. Then we heard the the neighbors up behind us had lost animals to a fox. But I was surprised to receive a phone call this morning from our neighbor saying he lost all his chickens this morning to a huge badger and that the badger started to chase him! So until we get this badger caught my kids will be staying inside the house.

2 comments:

Great Basin Cowgirl said...

Ooh, I HATE those things! I've been chased by one before and it was a scary deal. Sorry about your chickens... we're down to 7 and only one turkey now (had 25 + 10 turkeys). Love you guys.

Rachel Titus Parrish said...

How awful! Badgers really are scary. Hope no one gets hurt, and hope you find it soon. If you are looking for more chickens, I might know of someone who may have some free newbies (well, 3 months old now). Let me know and I can ask for you.