Sunday, April 3, 2011

Thank You



Thank you for praying for the people of Japan. I am hearing stories of how ward members from the hardest hit area of the tsunami and earthquake had traveled down to the Tokyo temple and were doing temple work when their homes were destroyed. I can not believe the blessings the ward members have been experiencing during this trying time. It has reconfirmed my testimony that if we stand in holy places, doing wholesome good things, always trying to do good the Lord will protect us.

I knew I loved my mission but never realized just how attached to the people I had become until this earthquake. I was emotional for days and not sleeping well. My mind could not stop thinking and praying for the people I had met. It still makes me sick not knowing if every one of them has survived and are ok. I am going by faith just as I am sure they are as well.

My friend Sister Hirata has extended her mission another month. To our relief and gratitude her parents AND home survived the tsunami and earthquake, although the good majority of her town was devastated.

A couple weekends ago Bethany, my last mission companion who taught the gospel to Sister Hirata with me, came out for a sisters wedding. We were able to meet up on Temple Square and visit Sister Hirata. It was a special, emotional day.

I will be forever grateful for my experiences in Japan and for the special, eternal friendships created. As I think back to the things felt and learned on the mission, I realize that those moments are what have sustained and given me strength those sleepless nights taking care of sick kids,handling stressful economic situations and other challenges- overall making me a better mother and wife. I think it is possible to receive this strength whenever we stay true to the eternal course even when so many of the natural senses tell us to abandon the cause and save ourselves during a trial.

1 comments:

CK said...

I didn't know you served in Japan (well, if I did, I forgot). That is a really incredible story about Those families who were visiting the temple when the tsunami hit. We live on the coast here in CA and I am super worried about an earthquake and tsunami now. My heart reaches out to those people because I know that could have happened to anyone. Let me know if there is anything else we can do to help your area. But we'll for sure keep praying for them.