Saturday, July 23, 2011

Lincoln Maxwell's Birth


Introducing Lincoln Maxwell Titus. Born July 20th (his exact due date) 7:37 p.m. weighing 7.8 lbs and 20 1/4 inches long.


I had been told before that giving birth naturally is like running a marathon and that if you could run a marathon you could give birth. I found the experience to be true, but I would also say that anyone who has given birth naturally can very well run a marathon! Both in running and in "enduring" the contractions it is easiest on the body and mind to relax the upper body and think positive thoughts. Also, I found in running the marathon, towards the end when I could see the finish line, that my since of time became warped. I knew my legs where moving forward but for some reason the finish line never seemed to get closer until the last few exhausting, painful yet exciting pumps of my legs that carried me to the goal. So it was with labor! But with 3 intense pushes, my baby boy came into the world and I was flying high with excitement at both Lincolns birth and the thrill of knowing my body just accomplished something amazing and difficult.

So here is the story.

My lovely midwife Christiane Miller had visited on Tuesday. There was no progress with the baby other than he was riding low and everything was soft.

Went to bed but kept waking up with stomach pains all through the night. Finally I made myself get up at 5 a.m to time the contractions. 8 minutes apart. Gordon and I timed for another 2 hours. 8 minutes apart.

William came in 3 hours after feeling a real contraction, so figured I'd better call my midwife, especially since her assistant/student was driving 2 hours to my home to help. I wanted her there too.

My parents had flown in from out of state at 3 a.m. for my brother-in-law's graduation (A big shout out and congratulations to Ben for graduating.Whoot whoot!!!) and they arrived at our home by 8:30 a.m. They took my darling boys Alexander and William for the day, spoiling them with Mcdonalds Happy Meals, treats, a movie at the theater, the park, and looking at toys at Walmart. What perfect timing to have my parents arrive!

Chris, Marie and Martina arrived around 11 a.m. and my contractions subsided. I was embarrased that I might be in false labor. Gordon had made Russian Borscht soup and black rye bread in the morning so we all feasted together at lunch, waiting for my contractions to pick up or get closer. Nothing happened.

Midwife and ladies leave at 2 p.m. Gordon and I have a BIG BOWL of cherry chocolate chip icecream with chocolate magic shell topping and then walked the neighbors driveway going up the hillside. Almost instantly my contractions were 2 minutes apart! We walked until the contractions took my breath away.

We filled up the pool in the living room and Chris arrived again at 4:30 p.m. By then contractions were leaving me unable to talk. From there on out things progressed nicely and with rythm. I could breath and keep control.

When the contractions were about a minute apart I finally wanted to get in the warm water. WHAT SWEET RELIEF!

I wanted to have the baby laying on my back, completely relaxed, letting the water's boyancy lift me, but the baby did not like that position. His heart rate kept dropping and there was talk of transport if turning on my knees did not improve his rate. But being on my knees did the trick. His heart rate recovered and instantly the contractions took over with each getting supper intense. It was a challange to keep my focus, especially when my body wanted me to push but the midwife said to let my body do its thing since I wasn't fully dialated. (That is like asking someone who had to go to the bathroom really bad to stop right as they got started relieving themselves. Almost impossible!)

But I managed not to push for a bit until my water bursted and from that point it was 10 minutes and 3 good pushes and baby Lincoln was born. No stitches needed and my body felt great afterwards!

Below are some pictures of this awesome day.


Plastic on the floor, with tub and a plastic liner inside the pool.



A good contraction. The water was soothing and helped ease the tension of the contraction. It was nice to be able to lean against the side of the pool. Did I mention that between contractions Gordon would give me a bite of icecream? It was a great mental brake and the cold icecream was soothing. It gave a moment of "bliss." (Another plus of a homebirth. I couldn't have gotten that in the hospital. :o)


Baby arrived!

My adrenaline slowed and exhaustion finally hit me. After a couple minutes of resting my head my "second wind came" and I was back to smiling and looking at baby.


I got to sit in the warm water until I felt recovered and ready to get out. The placenta was quick to come and the rest of the time I was nursing and observing my new little baby.
I loved how everything was taken at my pace even after Lincoln was born. No one swooped my baby away or did invasive procedures on him. It was silent besides Gordon and I smiling and talking about Lincolns features. The midwife and her assistance quietly and quickly started clean up.

I also loved that that night Gordon and I were able to lay in our comfortable bed together. We were both able to get good sleep and have access to good food. No one came in the room every hour to press on my stomach, check my heart rate, or tell me about how to take care of my newborn. It was just us. We didn't have to leave, we were home.


Daddy holding his son for the first time.


My wonderful midwife Chris Miller and her two assistance, Marie and Martina, checking the health and stats of Lincoln. These ladies, along with Gordon, were a great support team. I couldn't have asked for a better home birth experience.




Alexander and William meeting their brother Lincoln.

Holding their brother for the 1st time.




Happy Birthday from Grandma Kim and Grandpa Alan.


Dad giving Lincoln his first bath. What an awesome Daddy.

6 comments:

It all began here said...

Alana, Amazing! I had two children with out medical intervention. it is one of the most spiritual experiences! I loved feeling the power of my body doing what it was meant to do--- have a baby.

Congrats. Can't wait to see the baby

Aimee said...

ROCK STAR!

I love to hear about home births. So amazing, private, and cozy. So glad to hear everything went smooth.

I am already pregnant with #2 - hoping for a VBAC if I am brave enough. :)

The Flints said...

Simply fabulous--how awesome this experience must have been for you.

No Buckaroos said...

Congrats to the Titus Family! He's adorable.

Bethany said...

Alana, I am so jealous that you had a home birth this time and that I am going to the Hospital. :( I just know the Doctors and nurses are going to hate us after and hope that we never come back. After 2 at home it will be so strange for me...
I am SO happy that everything went so well for you. He is beautiful, just like his mommy.

CK said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! He is SOOO beautiful! What an amazing experience. I haven't ever run a marathon but I can imagine what you are saying, being able to see the finish line and feel like it is taking forever. Good job having a home birth! Wonderful day!
-CK