Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Favorite Quotes

I have several quotes that I really like, but here are two quotes that I have had posted in my room since I was 12. I don't know who said them, but they still inspire me just the same.

"Extra discipline makes up for a lack of talent, and a lack of discipline quickly siphons away extra talent. That is why it's frequently the most disciplined, rather than the most gifted people who rise to the top."

"Whoever you are, there is someone who thinks you are wonderful. There is someone who will miss you if you are gone. There is some very important work that will never get done if you don't do it. There is a reason for becoming better than you are. There is a place in this world that you alone can fill."


A couple others I found while on my mission that still lift me today are below.

"I hope you have a beach part of your personality where there's a lot of scrambling and laughing and sunning. But I hope there's also a part of you that wants to leave the shallow, sandy self and go into the deep. And sometimes...powerful currents of mortality carry us into the deeps- into the deeps of sorrow and suffering and soul searching. There is the deeps, we discover who we really are and who the Savior really is." -Cheiko N. Okazaki

"You will feel at sometime, perhaps at many times that you can not do all you feel you must. The heavy weight of your responsibilities will seem too great. You will worry that you can't spend more time with your family. You will wonder how you can find the time and the energy to meet your responsibilities beyond your family and calling. You may feel discouragement and even guilt after you have done all you could to meet all your obligations. I have had such days and such nights.
Let me tell you what I have learned. It is this: If I only think of my own performance my sadness deepens. But when I remember that the Lord promised that His power would go with me, I begin to look for evidence of what He has done in the lives of the people I am to serve. I pray to see with spiritual eyes the effects of His power. Then, invariably the faces of people flood back into my memory. I remember the shine in the eyes of my child whose heart was softened, the tears of happiness on the face of a girl on the back row of Sunday school class I was teaching, or a problem that was resolved before I had time to get to it. I know then that I have done enough."
-Elder Eyring

2 comments:

It all began here said...

Alana, All I can say, as tears run down my cheeks, thank you. So touching, and so needed.

Love You.

Natalie said...

Hey Alana,
I was wondering if you would be willing to fill out a questionaire for the RS newsletter "sister spotlight" for next month. If you are willing, will you please email me your email address or leave it in a comment on my blog?

Thanks,
natdalpias@gmail.com